Friday, September 29, 2017

A few of my favorite things- 9/29/17


Happy Friday friends!

We have been in our new house for about a week and the days have flown by. It is such a relief to be in a home and to settle in. I am thrilled to see all our stuff again (a few things I have no idea why I packed them). I will share some pictures in the future. In the meantime, there are a few shots on instagram.

On Thursday morning, my husband and I confessed how exhausted we were suddenly feeling- as if all the adrenaline of the past few weeks (maybe even months?) has finally dissolved. It was then that a fun distraction presented itself: a new friend generously offered to take us on a tour of a hops farm and processing facility. The hops harvest for this year has just wrapped up. The part of Washington we live in is a major agricultural area (hay, hops, apples, cherries, etc) but my husband and I are pretty unfamiliar with farming. It is one of the things we want to learn more about and our friend offered to help educate us. Pumped up on energy drinks and canned espresso shots from the gas station, we said yes and headed to Yakima. It was so much fun! I have always shied away from beer that is hop-heavy but the experience, seeing where hops grow and learning how they are processed, may have converted me. Also, doing something totally different was the perfect antidote to our exhaustion. During grad school, I once asked a professor what I should do about feeling "stuck". She said, "Hang out with new and interesting people." It was such great advice and I am
always glad when I follow it.

Here are a few of my favorite things from the internet (these days):

Our weekend plans include watching the local art parade for "Buskers in the 'Burg".

Currently coveting this mirror for my entryway.

Harvard Business Review has an interesting take on the benefits of reading poetry.

I recently re-watched "The Way" with Martin Sheen and Emilio Estevez. Made in 2010, it remains one of my favorite films. I enjoyed reading this interview, from 2011, with the father and son team.

Speaking of Martin Sheen, as I have been unpacking boxes, The West Wing Weekly podcast has been my constant companion. I know I am very late to this party, but I am loving the commentary by Joshua Malina and Hrishikesh Hirway.

Do yourself a favor and check out this clip of Prince Harry and the cutest popcorn thief.

Finally, here is Harriet enjoying the grass-filled backyard at the new house (a novelty for this California pup, who previously only had a patio).


2 comments: