Saturday, August 11, 2012

late summer Saturday


"The cure for anything is salt water- sweat, tears or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

It feels like I have been running a full on sprint since returning from our Paris trip. It has been good things and tough things but when I make choices that end up with my days feeling so hectic, I know I will look back on this summer like when you flip the pages of a magazine or a book too quickly. Images spin past and you are not really able to fully catch the content.

Which is why today was so lovely. For the first time in a very long time, we went to the beach. This morning we looked up dog friendly beaches and ended up in Huntington Beach. A dog beach is just as hilariously endearing as you hope it would be - dogs of all sizes milling about, seemingly having their own conversations and cliques. Some bouncing through shallow waves, others chasing down a tennis ball.


Harriet was not quite keen on the sand- her little dachshund legs make for pretty tough going. It reminded me of my own experiences wading through hip-deep soft fresh snow. When we reached the wet, more stable sand she was happier but then had to contend with the surf rushing in and out. She did not care for the water at all but loved meeting all the new dogs and running about freely. And, for at least a few hours, everything slowed down.



No comments:

Post a Comment