Wednesday, March 28, 2012

chocolate chocolate hazelnut cookies

I really love the combination of chocolate and hazelnut. I know I am not alone in this and there exists already a plethora of chocolate hazelnut concoctions and recipes to satisfy but I submit this one more: the chocolate chocolate hazelnut cookie.

In addition to really loving the combination of chocolate and hazelnut, I really love a good unpretentious drop cookie. Now days it's all french macaroons and fancy cupcakes (which I adore as well) but sometimes it is nice when just a straightforward drop cookie comes along. I have noticed hardly anyone is making them from scratch anymore. I think me and you, friends, we should start a drop cookie revolution.

I made these cookies on Saturday. I had already created a doozy of a to-do list but in the slump of the afternoon (post Ikea visit- need I say more?) I snubbed my to-do list in favor of the kitchen and this batch of cookies.

The original recipe is from Ina Garten. I adapted it because The Barefoot Contessa includes white chocolate chips. I disagree with her on very few points in life and white chocolate is one of them. Instead I add to the chocolate dough base 2 (2!) bags of semi sweet chocolate chips and 1 1/2 cups of rough chopped hazelnuts. The result is more like eating a candy bar than a cookie and I am perfectly okay with that.

chocolate chocolate hazelnut cookies

1/2 pound unsalted butter at room temperature
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 extra-large eggs at room temperature
2/3 cup good unsweetened cocoa
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 12 oz. bags semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups rough chopped hazelnuts

1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

2) Cream the butter and two sugars until light an fluffy in the bowl of an electric mixer with the paddle attachment. Add the vanilla, then the eggs, one at a time, and mix well. Add the cocoa and mix again.

3) Sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt and add to the chocolate with the mixer on low speed until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips and hazelnuts.

4) Drop the dough on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, using a 1 3/4-inch ice cream scoop or a rounded tablespoon. Dampen your hands and flatten the dough slightly.

5) Bake for exactly 15 minutes (the cookies will seem underdone- listen to wise Ina on this one. Otherwise, hockey puck cookies.) Remove from the oven and let cool slightly in the pan, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

This cookie should really be served with a glass of milk. Also good with coffee for breakfast.




1 comment:

  1. Looks SO good! Gonna try them, thanks!
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete