Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Tuesday's poem: Why I Wake Early by Mary Oliver


Why I Wake Early

Hello, sun in my face.
Hello, you who make the morning
and spread it over the fields
and into the faces of the tulips
and the nodding morning glories,
and into the windows of, even, the
miserable and the crochety -

best preacher that ever was,
dear star, that just happens
to be where you are in the universe
to keep us from ever-darkness,
to ease us with warm touching,
to hold us in the great hands of light -
good morning, good morning, good morning.

Watch, now, how I start the day
in happiness, in kindness.

- Mary Oliver

(above photo is from a recent visit to The Getty museum in Los Angeles. The gardens were in spectacular form during our visit.)

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful poem, and lovely photo. I have just found your blog and your lovely stripey purple and white blanket. Can I ask what stitch you used on that please? Oh, and I love the recipes you've posted too, they look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi CJ,
    Thank you for the kind words! The striped purple and gray blanket was crocheted using a single stitch crochet and a size 5mm hook. Using a smaller hook, it took a while to complete, but I very much liked the detailed, close crochet stitch look.

    ReplyDelete