Thursday, June 27, 2013

caprese salad


Continuing our week all about summer salads: I do believe caprese salad is as simple and perfect as summer gets: that window when the tomatoes are at their peak, accompanied by creamy slices of buffalo mozzarella, and peppery basil leaves.

While the salad is assembled and served at room temperature, I would highly recommend to take the extra plan-ahead step and make a basalmic syrup reduction. Unfortunately, I do not recall the exact recipe I used for this dish, but I do know that I used one with some brown sugar in it. The addition of the sugar helped round the edge of vinegar. (Also, be prepared to have a pretty strong vinegar fragrance in the home while the syrup reduces.)

Can this be called a salad? I am not sure. I believe in Italy it is served as a starter (insalata caprese-an antipasto) and not as a side dish. I do know that as often as this dish is made, it is always welcome.

This is my favorite way to serve it- the rows layered up like dominos. It is a gorgeous centerpiece all on it's own.

caprese salad

gorgeous ripe tomatoes
fresh basil
buffalo mozzarella cheese
balsamic syrup (lots of recipes out there on google, I recommend using one that includes brown sugar)
olive oil
salt and pepper

1) Layer it all up.

2) Drizzle with balsamic syrup (a reduction of balsamic vinegar and brown sugar) and olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.


No comments:

Post a Comment